When I first opened our Etsy shop, I had no clue what to choose for a user name and shop name. Impatience was prevalent as I merely tried to come up with a name that
- Wasn't too girly, since it's my husband's shop too
- Gave some hint to the Native American items in our shop
- Was available on Etsy
Hello, Native & Pilgrim!
After a lot more research and deep thought, I am excited to launch my new shop name. Unfortunately, Etsy doesn't allow you to just change your user name. I don't think it will hurt me too much to keep using the NativeSky user name but change the shop name. Here is how I figured things out this time:
- Considered using my last name, but my brother-in-law uses the last name as part of his graphic design business and I don't want to confuse things.
- Decided not to reference any specific products since our shop is such a mixture. This has often been debated in Etsy's forums and some people establish separate shops for separate lines of products. What's in our shop is what we decide to make next and we prefer that to having to meet the demands of a particular product line.
- Searched for a way to incorporate my heritage as well. We may have a Native American household, but I am descended from Pilgrims. This actually makes my kids absolutely All-American - descended from Native Americans, Pilgrims, Immigrants, and Pioneers.
- When I decided on the name, I researched it online. Once I was satisfied that the name wasn't being used, I started working on designing the banner and avatar.
If you intend to start a shop on Etsy, make sure you do some careful thinking before picking a name. Just because it's available doesn't mean it's right for you.